urge overdressed
A good friend is getting married in Bulawayo in about two and a half weeks. I am going -- yes, not even political chaos is going to stand in the way of me attending this particular friend's nuptials. But I've got a major problem: What does one wear to a formal event in a country in the midst of an economic strangehold and skyrocketing inflation? I feel like I need a combination of Martha Stewart and Che Guevara to figure this one out. Yes, I am worried about etiquette. I realize I am stressing over the pillow arrangements on the deck chairs while the Titanic is going down.
(Can't get away from that metaphor, can I?)
I found a dress in Jozi last weekend, a dress so fabulous I had to buy it (after practically biting my nails to the quick over it.) But I simply can't wear it: It's too much. It's much too much. Here, you can agree with me:
Yes, yes -- full-length, strapless, the whole nine yards...
What you can't see (because I forgot to photograph it) is the complicated lacing down the back.
But you do get to see the exquisite detailing. All this from a store in Jozi that sells one-offs by local designers. sigh...
All this to say that I'm going dress shopping again this weekend.


No comments:
Post a Comment