impala on ice
Last night, a visiting friend accidentally hit what she thought was a light switch. It turned out to be one of the 'panic buttons' attached to the house's security system. I have never heard a noise as loud as the alarm that went off, and my blood pressure is still normalizing.
But this even wasn't even remotely as shocking as the experience of looking inside my freezer yesterday morning:
Why, yes, that is half an impala in my freezer...
And now it's time for your impala anatomy quiz...
No, it's not wrapped in plastic bags or foil or anything...
One word: ew.
I knew my housemate was going hunting, but I didn't expect to find half an impala congealed into a solid block in the freezer. He says he's going to cut it and season in on Wednesday for a braai on Saturday. (He said this only after I asked; there's apparently no need to explain an unwrapped, un-butchered impala carcass thrown higgeldy-piggeldy into the freezer.) I don't see how he's going to get it out without de-frosting it. I expect it will be a bloody mess (in many senses).
And, freezing notwithstanding, the kitchen is a bit smelly.
2 comments:
The bag of peas adds a certain charm to this otherwise gruesome photo.
I don't know if peas add charm, exactly. I know this isn't a food blog, but I hope we get to hear more about the preparation and taste of impala.
Post a Comment