Impala on ice, part II: preparation
In response to one gentle reader's comment: I almost titled one of the photos of the freezer Dead Life with Peas.
In response to the question about preparation, here's an exegesis:
- Turn off freezer.
- Extract carcass and put in black garbage bags.
- Take to butcher.
- Bring home, dump pieces large enough to be grilled in several pots.
- Add peri-peri seasonings and hot sauce to meat.
- Stack pots of meat and trays of leftover pieces all over kitchen, creating a bloody mess (literally and figuratively); leave overnight.
- Next day, collect the pots and depart for the braai. Leave trays of smaller left-aside pieces of meat for your housemates to deal with in a kitchen bespattered with drippings and marinade because you are leaving the country the next morning and couldn't care less. (NB: It's best if you can pass this off as a gesture of generosity.)
I will have to get back to you about the taste. Frankly, the smell of dead impala and warthog so permeates my house (and my nose, and my hands) right now that I don't have much interest in tasting it. It is quite possible that packing five freezer bags full of raw meat using my bare hands has kind of soured me on the whole experience. The only thing that sounds good right now is hummus. Yes, I am a total wimp, but if it were between no Nando's forever or butchering my own meat, I'd return to vegetarianism. I still might.
2 comments:
What a coincidence! I just made hummus yesterday. Trade you hummus for impala!
You're on.
Post a Comment