a Paul Farmer moment
Over coffee today, a friend asked me what I thought about the argument that welfare actually encourages, or 'rewards', single-motherhood, particularly among African-American women. I went into a long rant among structural racism in the United States. Earlier in the conversation, the friend and I had been talking about SDS and the student protests at Columbia University in 1968, which also had me ranting about structural racism in the United States.
Then, tonight, I read this.
I find two things objectionable in this. First, I find the recourse to genetics, and its reification of race as a measurable health indicator, objectionable. I don't find it surprising, though, given the current obsession with finding a genetic basis for every goddamn thing that could happen to a person.
The second thing I find objectionable is the article's concluding statement, wherein a researcher is quoted as saying, "Even though we don’t know how to prevent asthma, we really do know how to control the symptoms.” Excuse me? Haven't we just been presented with information suggesting that children who are darker and poorer and who have shitty access to both in-patient and out-patient health care are more at risk not just for asthma but for the complications of mismanaged asthma, including death? The 'socioeconomic' and 'environmental' factors contributing to asthma and to its poor management are mutually implicated here.
And may I also suggest that concentrating on the supposed genetic factors predisposing poorer, darker children to asthma contributes to the erasure of how structural violence, American style, plays itself out on their bodies?
What angers me is that the logical conclusion is that the way to prevent asthma is to not be poor. Duh. This reminds me of something I read when I worked at HSPH. A list had been formulated of the top ten steps one could take towards better health (or something like that). The first item on the list was "If you smoke, stop smoking." The first list was sent around with a second list critiquing first list's bias towards the presumed agency of individuals with poor health towards ameliorating their own conditions. The first item on the second list was, "If you're poor, stop being poor."
I wish I could find that list. I'd really like to hit the NYT over the head with it about now.
No comments:
Post a Comment