23 October 2007

o solo mio

I have been singing with a group called the Gaborone Music Society since this past March. I was semi-Shanghai-ed in by a doctor-friend of mine, who burst into the fifth movement of Beethoven's 9th symphony in the hallway of one of the clinics -- yes, auf deutsch -- and assured me the group needed some soprano power.

This weekend, we are performing something called the President's Concert on Friday and Saturday evening. Tickets don't appear to be on sale, and I don't know quite what the deal is. But I'm told the President will actually be there on Friday.

The point is that, as of last night, I appear to have been assigned the solo for the Sanctus from the Misse Solonelle Sainte Cecilia by Goudnod that we are singing. When else in my life will I have the chance to sing a solo for the President of any country whatsoever? This is hilarious, on the one hand, and terrifying, on the other. I have the next three days to prepare. Yikes. Hiccup.

This other hilarious aspect of this is that I don't think anyone I really know is coming, so it'll be the soprano equivalent of a tree falling in the forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment