cinematica, Gabs style
There's only so much to do in this small town. At least, there's only so much to do if you want to do something other than spend your weekend blind drunk. Therefore, the cinema becomes rather a big deal.
This week, I watched Clive Owen run around with a gun and a newborn baby. I read the film as an interesting, in underdeveloped, treatise on contemporary fatherhood. (Yes, I'm serious.) And I loved the music, which gave a nod to such things as Tony Hawk for PlayStation in a way I thought appropriate to the movie's production design in general. STWW and BMK, thanks to you, I can't hear 'The Ace of Spades' without seeing digital skateboards in my mind's eye.
And what is it with CO and newborn babies? He ran around with one in Children of Men, too. I'm wondering where the third element of this series is. CO + baby + post-apocalyptic violence = ? Nothing brings out post-apocalyptic violence like newborn babies.
But I'd rather have variations on CO and infants against the backdrop of post-apocalyptica by far than what I suspect is going to be a heart-breakingly awful adaptation of the first book of 'The Dark is Rising' sequence. Entitled 'The Seeker' -- will The Who be included in the soundtrack, I wonder? -- this looks like an attempt to capitalize on the LoTR/Harry Potter frenzy by bastardizing another series of children's books. Super. It's always nice to see people take imaginative, intricately worked-out fantasy stories and put them through a wood-chipper. I think I'll stay home.
No comments:
Post a Comment