annoyed
It's been a hell of a week. I have been driving all over creation, meeting with people, and my head is very full. What I really want is a Sunday full of sitting around, trying to remember what people have said to me, and writing.
Instead, what do I get? One of the clinics here runs a not-quite-week-long sleep-away camp for hiv+ kids. I helped out last year, and offered to help out again. I have been sending sms's to this this doctor and one of the clinic staff who are running the show. I have asked about planning meetings, I have told them to get in touch with me... for over a month now. I ran into one of the staff at the hospital cafeteria the week before before last, and she told me to stop by her office. Nice idea, but virtually impossible for me this week. That said, half the people in the clinic have my phone number, if not my email. I'm not that hard to track down.
At some point, in the midst of last night's somewhat raucous party, the doctor in question phoned me. (I missed the call, but my phone tells me these things.) I also got an sms letting me know that 'camp is starting tomorrow' (meaning today). All this at something like 9pm the night before it all begins.
OK, maybe this is not such a big deal, but it's -- well, annoying. There's something here, I'm sure, about temporality and the structure of expectation, as well as the allocation of different forms of labour in and around this particular clinic. Given some distance, that's what my anthropology brain would say. But right now, it just makes me cranky.
No comments:
Post a Comment