08 September 2007

M.

I lost my fieldworking buddy last night.

P, my neighbour, found Methodius by the side of the road, and sent me an sms. (What I was doing when I found out and with whom is a whole 'nother story. Suffice it to say that managing the moment of loss in front of someone you don't know very well is its own particular experience.)

I was really hoping P had the wrong cat, but Methodius' collar made the identification easy.

He was my fieldworking buddy. He was supposed to be there for the whole dissertation. He saw me through the really rough spots of my first few months here. He was the one who came running when he saw me. We were what mattered to each other. He was going to make the transition from Botswana kitty to American kitty with me. He was my witness to all the ducking, twisting, diving and dislocating this stupid career involves.

I tried to take good care of him.

He was the best kitty, ever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohhhhh....so SO sorry to hear that.....i loved that cat and the story of his name and his parallel adventures with vets and catsitters and small fauna in Botswana and, of course, how much you liked him....really sorry. -allison

Anonymous said...

ouch- well, maybe he was meant to be more of a guardian angel cat?
I'm really sorry-
-BK

k. said...

i'm so sorry darling! let me know if there is anything i can do...

Post a Comment