a new kind of drug war
This is so not my project, but I find it fascinating: Abbott Pharmaceuticals are suing ACT-UP Paris for a 'netstrike' they organised at the end of April. (ACT-UP and its affiliates have been the heavies of AIDS activism for more than twenty years now. ACT-UP, for example, took over the FDA in 1988.) Anyway, ACT-UP Paris organised the 'netstrike' (or what the Chicago Tribune calls a 'cyber-attack') in response to Abbott's policy towards Thailand. Oh, god, this is hard to boil down... Forgive me if I get a bit catechismic, stylistically.
OK, so Thailand can, under the amendments to the TRIPS (trade-related aspects of international property rights) laws, issue compulsory licenses. In response to the Thai government having done so, Abbott announced that it would not register a new heat-stable formulation of one of its antiretroviral drugs in Thailand. This provoked a lot of outcry, a lot of very public positioning by Abbott, the Thai government, the US government (including the office of the US Trade Representative, which is responsible for assembling a 'watch list' for countries not abiding by the principles of TRIPS, for example and therefore susceptible to some kind of trade sanctions, etc.).
Here's what ACT-UP Paris says about it, en anglais et en français. Read about it in the Tribune.
But that a legal suit is coming down to a whole lot of people having visited Abbott's website on the same day is fodder for the media and social movement scholars out there. But: wow... just...wow.
2 comments:
Very interesting! And dig the new look.
Thanks! I hope the pink isn't too much. But ever since I've changed the blog's look, IE has been having problems loading the blog, especially the blogger navigation bar that runs along the top. It looks fine in Firefox, so I'm blaming it all on IE and Blogger. Apologies in the meantime for those of you wedded to IE.
Post a Comment