predictability
So one more thing about that Freshly Ground concert: A few friends and and I were hanging out near the stage, waiting for another friend who'd gone backstage to have her cd autographed. The bass player of the band walked out of a door, and walked up to my friend, M:
Bass player: Do I know you from somewhere?
M: I don't think so.
Bass player: I didn't meet you the last time we were here?
M: No, I wasn't around then.
Bass player: Are you all in public health?
We looked at each other and laughed. M is a med student, another friend with us is a pre-med undergrad, and the friend for whom we were waiting is starting med school in the fall. We were overwhelmingly medical. But it was also funny because it indexes the likelihood of any expat in Botswana -- and particularly an American -- having some connection to the medical or public health. We now come in bulk.
Then again, maybe the bass player just thought M was cute...
I did learn that some of the band members volunteer at a clinic on the Cape Flats sponsored by this organisation. I have to wonder whether it would be useful to do something like that during my proposed time in Cape Town. It might help give some perspective to my time here.
No comments:
Post a Comment