07 May 2007

a contest!

In honour of having slaughtered a wild pig with my car this past Saturday night about 30km away from the border post dividing South Africa from Botswana, I invite you to exercise your poetic wits and celebrate this tremendous occasion in rhyme.

For example:

Come here, come here, myopic pig,
I'll smack you good with my big rig.
What's more, I invite you to submit your rhymes in the language of your choice (or the language of your field site for ye anthropology types).

To wit:

Приди, приди, глупая свинья, (Pridi, pridi, glupaya svin'ya)
Ударит тебя моя машина! (Udarit tebya moya mashina!)

(trans.: Come, come, stupid/silly pig / My car will strike you!)

Or:

Tla kwano, tla kwano, kolobe,
Ke tlaa go bolaya ka koloi ya me!

(trans.: Come here, come here, pig / I will kill you with my car!)

While it would be most appropriate to reward the best poem with some tasty wild pork -- both SA and Botswana police and customs officials kept asking me where the meat was -- I'm afraid that I'll have to come up with something else.

N.B.: Killing animals that are property can be very expensive: cows are not cheap to replace, even if you survive hitting them, and the fault lies with the motorist for hitting the cow, not with the cow for being dumb enough to walk into oncoming traffic. But according to a friend, in Botswana, when you kill even a wild animal, you have to pay damages to the government! I am very glad that my pig, however damaging to my car, was at least South African...

4 comments:

B3 said...

Kolobe e tsenetse tsela,
Mme ke e bolaile fela!

(trans.: The pig entered the road / But I only killed it.)

Anonymous said...

two wolof attempts:
(i'll pass on the pork, it's haram, you know)

mbum hu bi begge na me toyn
yegg na ci tali bu sore sama coin
am naa woto, moom du sama morom
leggey ay ñakk dinanu ko def xorom

the pig wanted to fuck with me
he got up in the street far from my neightborhood.
i have a car, he (the pig) is not my equal,
now some foreigners (e.g. non-muslims from the south) will salt him!

woto bii buggul lu salte
dina le rey, apres me defe le kalpe!

my car hates what's dirty
it'll kill you and then i'll make you into a wallet.

by the way, my senegalese pals got a real kick out of your story. the absolute haram-icity of wanting to eat a road-kill pig (pig, bad, not instantaneously killed in the name of God, also bad) really got them rolling. leading to comments like, that's ñakk (all your african non-sahelian muslims who are not arabs) for you. They just LOOOOOOVE their pig, any old way they can get it...

Anonymous said...

Oh Bacon, My Bacon-
That fork in the road we did smashish-
And you, too bits-
(sorry, I guess there's no rhyme there, though-)
-BK:)

k. said...

A pig went to market one day
To pick up some chives and frisée
But a graduate student
Was auto-imprudent,
Now he shops at the Champs Elysées

Post a Comment