context is everything
A few weeks ago, when my housemate was due to leave town for a week, I invited another young American scholar (YAS) to spend the week with me. (YAS has never really taken up a permanent residence in Gabs, but has managed to patch together a series of house-sitting appointments and temporary housing arrangements.) My housemate returned a few days earlier than she'd expected, but the three of us managed to pass the weekend quite pleasantly until Sunday morning, when YAS moved on to her next situation.
This Thursday, I received the following email from YAS:
I left a wooden carving of a hand on your front stoop. I carved it w/ one of the sculptors at the art center :) Is it still there? If it is can you tuck it somewhere safe until I can stop by to pick it up?
I asked my wise housemate if she had seen a wooden hand on our stoop. Her response:
No, but if I had, I'd have thought we'd been f***in' bewitched!
2 comments:
My housemate found the hand this morning, by the way... And it's a bas-relief of a hand, not a sculpture of one, which would have been a lot freakier to randomly stumble upon coming up the porch steps.
if i found a carved wooden *anything* on my front step, you know what i would do? i would do what my buddies here have told me to do: pee in a cup and pour the pee all over the suspicious object. you know, urine neutralizes witchcraft!? YAS is lucky that she wasn't staying with me, or her carving would have gotten peed on.
Post a Comment