06 September 2006

paperwork, part 2

So, among all the paperwork I've been collecting over the past two weeks to apply for a residence permit that had, unbeknownst to me, been granted to me months ago, I needed a medical form. The man in the international students office was afraid I'd be sent to the major hospital in town for an x-ray, which would take forever. I toddled off to the student clinic anyway, where the doctor attested, on my good word that I'd had a physical in the past six months, that I am "not suffering from any of the disabilities referred to in Note 1." Note 1 reads as follows:

Note 1: The disabilities referred to in paragraph (1) are:

  1. being an idiot;
  2. being an imbecile;
  3. being a feeble-minded person;
  4. being an epileptic;
  5. having had a previous attack of insanity;
  6. suffering from constitutional psychopathic inferiority;
  7. suffering from chronic alcoholism.

I told the doctor that I'd probably been accused of being at least one of the above, but never in a clinical register. She didn't laugh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the paperwork progress! But as for the joke about the medical form, I guess that'll teach you to laugh at bureaucracy to its face. :)

Yeah, see, this is reminding me of when I tried to relieve the tension with a Russian bag screener when I took my acoustic electric guitar through the Sheremetyevo airport x-ray machines.

The guy called me over to the side and pointed to the monitor, where I saw the outline of my guitar case, a coil of wire, a small box, and a battery. Not lookin' good for me, especially the day after two Russian planes had been blown up (by Chechens, according to the FSB).

Now, I know that it's the electric pick-up and pre-amp in my guitar... but how do you explain that when you barely speak Russian?

So I say, "Ах, да. Так... Это трудно объяснить..." ("Ah, yes. So... This is hard to explain...") This, it turns out, was not so bright.

Post a Comment